There is a good chance you will see a construction work being carried out when you look around any Australian state or city like Queensland and Melbourne. According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, over 61 billion worth of construction happened in the September Quarter in 2017. Whether it is the building of a new house, work on major infrastructure or the patching up of a regional road, the construction industry has always something on hand!
A key concern for any building site is the management of traffic flowing through the site areas. Traffic control is one of the essential activities to maintain a safe construction workplace in Melbourne. Vehicles like powered mobile plant are often linked with death and injuries to workers as well as the general public as they are involved in activities like reversing, loading and unloading while moving in and around a workplace.
A construction site should always consider the effective ways that can protect the pedestrians and the general public from the adversities. For this, a careful planning and control system for the vehicle operations and pedestrian movements can aid in a better traffic management at the workplace.
Reasons Why Traffic Management is Crucial for Construction Site:
A construction site is a place of hustle and bustle. Multiple machines are used to carry out various processes on a day-to-day basis. Hence, it becomes imperative to opt for traffic control measures in the construction sites of Queensland or any other state of Australia.
The below-mentioned factors state the importance of traffic management around the construction areas:
1) Reducing Risk of Accidents
It has been noted that the majority of traffic accidents on construction sites occur at points where vehicles and pedestrians intersect. The site entry and exit points, road crossings and pedestrian walkways are all high-risk areas, so the presence of trained traffic management personnel at these locations can help reduce the accidents.
2) Complying with Necessary Signage and Warnings
This is the other effective way of reducing the chances of traffic incidents on the construction sites. Ensure that all the hazardous areas are clearly marked so that people know where they should and shouldn’t be. Your traffic control Melbourne plan must include important factors like establishing pedestrian exclusion zones, secure parking spaces and speed limits.
Signage plays an important role as they create a visual warning for safety and security on the roads. Using warning signs like flashing lights and bright barriers indicates restricted zones and clearance limits for vehicles.
3) Keeping the Pedestrians and Vehicles Apart
The following actions will assist in keeping the pedestrians and vehicle apart:
- Entrance and Exits – Provide a separate entry and exit gateways for pedestrians and vehicles.
- Walkways – Provide a firm, well-drained pedestrian walkways that take a direct route wherever possible.
- Crossings – Provide a clearly signed and lit crossing point where walkways cross roadways.
- Visibility – Make sure that the drivers driving onto public roads can see the roadways and walkways clearly.
- Obstructions – Avoid blocking the walkways. This will help the pedestrians to avoid stepping onto the vehicle route.
- Barriers – Think about installing a barrier between the roadway and the walkway.
4) Minimizing the Vehicle Movements
Good planning can help to minimize the vehicle movement around a construction site which can further aid in traffic control measures in Melbourne. In order to limit the number of vehicles on site, you should
- Provide a car parking for the workforce and visitors away from the work area
- Control the entry of the work area
- Plan storage areas in a way that the delivery vehicles do not have to cross the site
Key Traffic Management Solutions at the Construction Site
In a nutshell, applying these key solutions will enable you to streamline the traffic management at the construction site:
- Keeping pedestrians and vehicles apart by making a separate entry and exit at the workplace
- Minimizing vehicle movements
- Ensuring the vehicles and pedestrians are visible to each other
- Using the traffic signs
- Developing and implementing a traffic management plan
A proper executed traffic management can definitely aid in speeding up the construction process without causing adversities. Opting for a well-planned traffic control in Queensland and the whole of Australia will help ensure the operations to run smoothly with minimal disruption to workers as well as the pedestrians.